26 new coronavirus cases reported across north Wales

MORE than half of Wales’ newest coronavirus cases were reported in north Wales, health chiefs have confirmed.

Public Health Wales has said that 41 new cases of the virus have been reported across Wales.

Of those, 26 were reported within the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board area, with; 15 in Wrexham, six in Flintshire, two in Denbighshire, two in Conwy and one in Gwynedd.

No new cases were reported on Anglesey.

The total number of deaths reported in the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board area now stands at 364.

Dr Christopher Johnson, consultant in health protection at Public Health Wales and chair of the Outbreak Control Team (OCT) said: “The multi-agency team managing the outbreak of Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) associated with Rowan Foods Ltd in Wrexham has recorded a total of 283 positive cases of infection in the workforce since 8 June 2020.

“We have previously asked people who work at the site and couldn’t attend for on-site sampling to come forward for testing, and they have.

“We are reporting a total increase of 46 cases recorded since Monday, but this does not mean that we have seen a jump in the level of infection in the last 48 hours.

“The majority of the increase is as a result of checking on-site sampling with results collected through community, home and drive-through testing centres, not new spread of infection.

“I want to reassure the workforce and wider community that the results we have identified are entirely what we would expect to see when a focused and robust testing regime is put in place.

“The OCT has received assurance from the employer and the Health & Safety Executive that the factory is taking all necessary precautions to protect its workforce. There continues to be no evidence that the infection is factory-based.

“The OCT will also continue to urge any remaining workers at the site who have not yet taken up the offer of testing to do so.

“We would also urge everyone to maintain two metres social distancing when outside of the home, to practice good hand hygiene and continue to self-isolate if they are unwell with symptoms of COVID-19.”

Dr Graham Brown, consultant in communicable disease control at Public Health Wales said: “The monitoring and case data emerging from the 2 Sisters plant in Llangefni, Anglesey remains consistently reassuring.

“Following the multi-agency Outbreak Control Team (OCT) meeting on Wednesday 1 July, a single additional case associated with the plant was reported. This brings the total number of positive cases associated with the factory and its workforce with a confirmed Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) infection to a total of 217.

“This is good news and demonstrates that the control measures put in place following the concerted track and trace phase of the response has been effective. There is no evidence of sustained community transmission.”

North Wales Chronicle | Anglesey

Be the first to comment on "26 new coronavirus cases reported across north Wales"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*