Elderly resident attends hospital for smoke inhalation check following chimney fire at Anglesey home

AN ELDERLY resident received oxygen therapy following a fire at their home.

The incident happened on Nant y Felin estate, Pentraeth, Anglesey.

A spokesperson from North Wales Fire and Rescue service said: “We were called at 9.56pm on December 9. The stop was called at 10.30pm. The incident was a chimney fire confined to living room fireplace.

“Two appliances attended and an elderly casualty received oxygen therapy at the scene and later attended hospital for smoke inhalation check-up.”

Advice on chimney cleaning and safety has been issued by the fire service:

  • All chimneys and flue-ways should be cleaned and checked to ensure they are free from debris and in full working order before the heating season. A blocked or defective chimney can cause both chimney fires and carbon monoxide poisonings so it’s very important to employ a professional qualified chimney sweep such as those certified by the National Association of Chimney Sweeps.
  • Regular maintenance of your chimney will depend on the fuel you burn – if you burn oil or gas, your chimney should be swept once a year, Bituminous – coal twice a year, wood up to four times a year and smokeless coals at least once a year.
  • Do not burn wet wood – all wood burned must have a moisture content of no more than 17 percent.
  • When thinking about heating your home, it’s important to purchase the correct size appliance for your room – an appliance which is too large will never be used hot enough to volatize all of the fuel within the wood and unburned fuel will pass up the chimney as smoke and condense within the flue as extremely flammable creosote.

North Wales Chronicle | Anglesey

Be the first to comment on "Elderly resident attends hospital for smoke inhalation check following chimney fire at Anglesey home"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*