ALMOST 110 new cases of coronavirus have been confirmed across our region by Public Health Wales (PHW) today.
There have now been 10,655 lab-confirmed cases of the virus from the combined counties that make up the North Wales region since the outbreak of the pandemic – after more incidents were confirmed in the latest figures released today.
Public Health Wales confirmed that the 107 of today’s 1,119 newly confirmed Welsh cases were from the northern region and can be broken down as such:
• Anglesey – 10 (14.3 per 100,000 population as of today)
• Conwy – 12 (10.2 per 100,000 population as of today)
• Denbighshire – 12 (12.5 per 100,000 population as of today)
• Flintshire – 24 (15.4 per 100,000 population as of today)
• Gwynedd – 10 (8.0 per 100,000 population as of today)
• Wrexham – 39 (28.7 per 100,000 population as of today)
Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board – the largest health board in Wales – has reported 469 have sadly died to date according to PHW data.
Figures from the Office for National Statistics, which are considered a stronger indicator of the overall impact of the virus, and which are based on all deaths where COVID is mentioned on the death certificate, stand at 600 for the health board area.
• Confirmed cases as of November 7 – 10,655
• New cases from November 7 – 108
• Rate of new cases per 100,000 last week (October 26 to November 1) – Anglesey (80.0), Conwy (93.0), Denbighshire (105.5), Flintshire (149.9), Gwynedd (49.8), Wrexham (255.2)
The national picture:
Across Wales, another 958 COVID cases were confirmed in Saturday’s figures, meaning that 59,237 people are now known to have contracted the coronavirus since the pandemic began.
There were 32 newly reported deaths, meaning the number of people to have died with confirmed cases of coronavirus sadly stands at 2,014 in Wales.
Welsh Government confirmed that on Monday, November 9, the two-week fire-break lockdown would be coming to an end.
It was brought into action across Wales on Friday, October 23, to combat the spread of the virus further and prevent the NHS from becoming overwhelmed.
This is what Public Health Wales’ has to say:
Dr Chris Williams, incident director for the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak response at Public Health Wales, said: “Public Health Wales will work with Welsh Government to monitor the effect of the regulations which will come in at the end of the current fire-break period on November 9.
“We support the call for the public to take personal responsibility for their actions and to ensure that we are all doing as much as possible to limit the transmission of Coronavirus.
“Ahead of Remembrance Sunday this weekend, we are reminding the public that outdoor Acts of Remembrance can be held this weekend involving a maximum of 30 people, including event organisers.
“Indoor services are not permitted, so we would ask people to be responsible when paying their respects to those who have lost their lives in wars.”
Dr Williams adds a message to the public ahead of the fire-break exit.
He said: “As we approach the end of the fire-break period in Wales, we remind everyone that this does not mean a return to normality.
“Coronavirus is still active in communities across Wales, so we all need to take steps to keep everyone safe and to prevent the transmission of the disease.”
He also took the opportunity to remind travellers of the new country’s removed from the UK’s Coronavirus travel corridor list – namely Denmark, Germany and Sweden.